A Small Church List for Lewis County & Other Churches in Missouri
________________________________________
Use this link to find a church in Missouri by town:
Missouri Churches
________________________________________

Canton, Missouri
Baptist
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, 573-288-5583
407 NORTH 6TH, CANTON MO 63435
Catholic
SAINT JOSEPH CATHOLIC CHURCH, 573-288-3198
812 LEWIS STREET, CANTON MO 63435
Christian
CANTON CHRISTIAN CHURCH, 573-288-3018
512 COLLEGE STREET, CANTON MO 63435
Methodist
IMMANUEL METHODIST CHURCH, 573-288-3427
601 WASHINGTON STREET, CANTON MO 63435
Non-Denominational
BLUFF SPRINGS CHURCH, 573-288-3760
HIGHWAY 51, CANTON MO 63435
Maywood, Missouri
Baptist
HESTER BAPTIST CHURCH, 573-439-5707
RURAL ROUTE 1, MAYWOOD MO 63454
SOUTH UNION BAPTIST CHURCH, 573-478-3640
MAYWOOD MO 63454
La Grange, Missouri
Baptist
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, 573-655-4692
407 NORTH 7TH STREET, LA GRANGE MO 63448
GREEN CHAPEL BAPTIST CHURCH, 573-655-4490
109 NORTH 3RD, LA GRANGE MO 63448
Catholic
NOTRE DAME CATHOLIC CHURCH, 573-655-4296
812 LEWIS STREET, LA GRANGE MO 63448
Christian
LA GRANGE CHRISTIAN CHURCH, 573-655-4571
4TH AND SKINNER, LA GRANGE MO 63448
Foursquare Gospel
FOURSQUARE GOSPEL CHURCH, 573-947-6292
2646 COUNTRY CLUB, LA GRANGE MO 63448
Lutheran
LUTHERAN CHURCH OFFICE, 573-655-4416
704 WEST LEWIS, LA GRANGE MO 63448
Methodist
METHODIST CHURCH, 573-655-4328
200 NORTH 4TH, LA GRANGE MO 63448

La Belle, Missouri
Baptist
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, 816-462-3426
PO BOX 112, LA BELLE MO 63447
MT OLIVE BAPTIST CHURCH, 816-462-3948
LA BELLE MO 63447
Christian
CHRISTIAN CHURCH, 816-462-3362
PO BOX 31, LA BELLE MO 63447

Hardin, Missouri
Baptist
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, 816-398-4878
201 EAST 2ND, HARDIN MO 64035
Methodist
HARDIN METHODIST CHURCH, 816-398-4752
112 PINE STREET, HARDIN MO 64035
UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, 816-398-4532
101 1ST STREET, HARDIN MO 64035

Lewistown, Missouri
Baptist
BAPTIST CHURCH, 573-497-2403
300 SOUTH ELM, LEWISTOWN MO 63452
Christian
CHRISTIAN CHURCH, 573-497-2473
109 EAST QUINCY, LEWISTOWN MO 63452
Methodist
METHODIST CHURCH, 573-497-2500
108 NORTH OAK, LEWISTOWN MO 63452

Durham, Missouri
Baptist
DURHAM BAPTIST CHURCH, 573-478-3435
DURHAM MO 63438

Ewing, Missouri
Assembly of God
ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH, 573-494-3526
25 HADFIELD DRIVE, EWING MO 63440
Baptist
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, 573-494-3422
100 SOUTH MCKINLEY, EWING MO 63440
NELSONVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH, 573-439-5491
EWING MO 63440
Catholic
QUEEN OF PEACE CHURCH, 573-494-3494
307 NORTH MAIN STREET, EWING MO 63440

Augusta, Missouri
Catholic
IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CHURCH, 314-228-4455
5912 SOUTH HIGHWAY 94, AUGUSTA MO 63332

Lutheran
CHRIST LUTHERAN CHURCH LCMS, 314-228-4642
123 CHURCH ROAD, AUGUSTA MO 63332

United Church of Christ
EBENEZER UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST, 314-228-4853
5543 WALNUT STREET, AUGUSTA MO 63332

Various Other Denominations
FEMME OSAGE UNITED CHURCH, 314-228-4586
4360 CAPPE LANE OSAGE ROAD, AUGUSTA MO 63332


Lewis County, MO
Church Records
Pleasant Grove Baptist Church
Pleasant Grove Baptist Church was organized in 1857 as "West Providence United Baptist Church.  J. W. Rowe, missionary, under the patronage of the Wyaconda Association, helped organize the church. This location was about one mile east of Gorin, Missouri. Rev. Rowe served as pastor until 1861. Pleasant Grove Baptist Church bequeathed burial lots in the Pleasant Grove Cemetery to Rev. and Mrs. Rowe, and it is there where they are buried. Rev. Rowe was an untiring worker and a pioneer to be noted. A stained glass window on the east side of the current church building was dedicated to Rev. Rowe.

Records of this congregation were irregular from 1861 to 1865.

In early 1865, the Methodists, Baptists, and Presbyterians worshipped in the Providence School building, a log school house at the location of the current Gorin school buildings. In June 1865, West Providence (the present-day congregation located in Gorin) and Middle Wyaconda united their congregations in Etna, Missouri. During this organization members asked that as a church they make application to the Wyaconda Association for membership. In June 1866, the partnership of the two churches, MiddleWyaconda and West Providence (together known as Etna Baptist Church), dissolved and each congregation returned to their own community. They met again in school houses, mainly Hayden and West Providence. In July 1866, they sent thanks to Presbyterian Brethern at Etna for use of their church for one year. At this time, the congregation from Gorin adopted the name "Pleasant Grove. In 1870, Rev. Rowe was once again preaching at Pleasant Grove.

In December 1876, the church asked the clerk to request a number of churches to each send three delegates to a meeting to be held with Pleasant Grove Church on Saturday at 11 o'clock preceding First Sabbath in June, in order to consider organizing a new association within the bounds of Wyaconda.

In November 1886, the Pleasant Grove Baptist Church congregation purchased the Methodist Church South church building and two acres for $300, at the location of the Pleasant Grove Cemetery (also currently referred to as "Gorin Cemetery").

The Pleasant Grove Baptist Church congregation purchased the property at their current location in 1898. On July 5, 1902, the current church building was dedicated.

by Janet (Ewing) Deaton
Extracted from Gorin Argus June 13, 1957 and from the Book Gorin 1889-1989
From a crazy quilt top presented to Rev. O.N. Mary Ann Collins by the Mt. Pisgah Church, 1899.